Skip to main content

Diversified Ministries

Beginning in 1935, Father Patterson, former pastor of SSPP parish, was given charge of the Gila Valley district. He immediately planned a vacation school for the summer months. Four Sisters from Tucson proctored CCD classes at Saint Rose Church in Safford, Our Lady of Perpetual Help Mission in Thatcher, Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish in Solomonville, and St. Joseph Chapel in Santa Jose. Forty-eight miles of driving were required to get the Sisters to and from their summer missions - a great distance at that time. Nearly all of the children in these classes were Mexican-American.

1935.  Large class of Mexican and Indian children at Safford, AZ.  Sisters James Marie Malone and Francis Mary Coleman are the teachers

1935, Large class of Mexican and Indian children at Safford, Arizona. Srs. James Marie Malone and Francis Mary Coleman taught catechism in the summer.

In a letter from 1935, Sr. James Marie Malone describes her work among the Indian populations. "This is a piece of cotton just recently picked by the Yaqui Indians here in Arizona... The place we go is called Fort Lowell. Many of the people have made their adobe homes from the ruins of the one-time American arsenal that was located here."

Later, Sr. James Marie, recalls, "I only regret that I can't express in words the real pleasure there is in working among the Mexicans in this little Gila Valley (Safford)."

It was also around this time that Father Patterson would drive a bus every weekend to the State School for the Deaf and Blind to transport students for Sunday Mass and catechism classes taught by the Sisters at SS. Peter and Paul.

1934.  First class of Deaf and Blind School pupils.  Sisters not identified

1934, First class of students that the Sisters taught CCD from the State School for the Deaf and Blind.

Letter from Sr. James Marie Malone about Yaqui Indian Village (1935)

1935, Excerpt of a letter from Sr. James Marie Malone about the Yaqui Indian Village. She attached a piece of the cotton to the letter. 

This was just the beginning of the Sisters' "diversified" ministries among the people of Arizona, California, and Mexico. From the 1930s until present day, the Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill have dedicated their lives to working with Indian villages, immigrants, the elderly, youth, and at-risk populations in the fields of social service, fine arts ministry, healthcare, religious education, and more.

Below is a list of the many diversified ministries of the Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill. 

Explore the Gallery of images to see more. 

1941.  Vacation School for Yaqui Indians.  First Communion class with Sister Harold Ann Jones and Sr. James Marie Malone

1941, Vacation School ofr Yaqui Indians. First Communion class with Sister Harold Ann Jones and Sr. James Marie Malone.

  • 1st Way Women’s Crisis Center, Scottsdale
  • Apaches at San Carlos
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles
  • Blessed Sacrament Parish, Scottsdale
  • Catholic Schools Offices, Tucson and Phoenix
  • Casa Victoria, Center for Art, Tempe
  • Casa Elizabeth Seton, Tucson
  • Chancery Office, Phoenix
  • Catholic Charities
  • Catholic Social Services, Tucson and Phoenix
  • Comstock Children's Hospital
  • Counseling Services, Case Grande and Globe
  • Diocese of Tucson 
  • Directors of Religious Education
  • Fine Arts Ministry, Los Lunas, New Mexico
  • Forrestor’s Old Pueblo Casita
  • Good Samaritan Hospital
  • Hacienda Virginia, Mazatepec, Mexico
  • Helping Associates, Inc.
  • Holy Cross Hospital
  • Holy Family Mexican Church
  • Immaculate Conception Parish and School, Ajo
  • Indian Oasis Baboquivari United School District
  • Kino Institute
  • Liaison for Korean Catholic community
  • Lourdes Catholic High School, Nogales, AZ
  • Malta Center, Phoenix
  • Mexican-American Cultural Center, San Antonio, TX
  • Mount Claret Center, Phoenix
  • Nuestros Pequenos Hermanos
  • Our Lady of Blessed Sacrament, Miami, AZ
  • Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish, Guadalupe
  • Our Lady of Joy Parish, Carefree
  • Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish, Glendale
  • Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish and School, Scottsdale
  • Papago Indian Reservation
  • Phoenix Job Corps, Phoenix
  • Phoenix Valley Hospitals
  • Red Cloud Indian School on Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota
  • Resurrection Parish, Tempe
  • Sacred Heart Parish, Tucson
  • Queen of Peace Parish
  • Saint Anne Parish, Gilbert
  • Saint Bridget Parish, Mesa
  • Saint Catherine of Sienna Parish, Phoenix
  • Saint Cyril Parish, Tucson
  • Saint Daniel the Prophet Parish and School, Scottsdale
  • Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish, Tucson and Sun City
  • Saint Henry Parish, Buckeye
  • Saint John the Evangelist Parish and School, Tucson
  • Saint John Vianney Parish, Sedona
  • Saint Joseph Hospital
  • Saint Margaret Parish, Tempe
  • Saint Martin de Porres Parish, Phoenix
  • Saint Mary Parish and Saint Mary-Basha School, Chandler
  • Saint Mary Hospital, Tucson
  • Saint Michael Parish, Olympia, Washington
  • Saint Monica Parish, Tucson
  • St. Nicholas of Myra Child and Family Centers
  • Saint Pancratius School, Lakewood, California
  • Saint Pius X Child Development Center/The Dorothy Kieckjefer Child and Family Education Laboratory
  • Saints Peter and Paul Parish and School, Tucson
  • Saint Stephen Byzantine Parish
  • Saint Theresa Parish and School, Phoenix
  • Saint Vincent de Paul Parish, Phoenix
  • San Carlos Mission
  • San Xavier Mission
  • Topawa Indian Reservation
  • Tribunal Office, Santa Maria, California
  • Tribunal Office, Phoenix
  • Tuberculosis Preventorium
  • University of Arizona Hospital
  • Valle de Sole
  • Yaqui Indian Reservation